Starting Monday, July 28th through August 22nd, the SFMTA's contractor will begin work on traffic signal infrastructure work for the Carl and Cole intersection. (See clarification from SFMTA rep below) What we do know is that the main work will involve cutting a trench along the sidewalk on the north side of Carl Street (between Cole and Stanyan). Whoops, guess that does mean jackhammers.
What to expect:
- Work hours will be from 8am to 5pm Monday through Friday
- Work will start at Carl and Cole streets and proceed west
- The streets will remain open (ultimately walking on Carl will be a disaster, not to mention those of us who will live above these said sidewalks. Lovely).
- Access to local businesses and residence will be maintained (again, no sidewalks)
- Muni service will not be affected (well, guess that's a good thing)
- Street parking will be unavailable where work is taking place (more parking spaces bite the dust)
- There will be some noise during excavation of concrete sidewalk (you mean jackhammers right?)
Other locations that will get the traffic signal "upgrade":
- Irving Street, from 3rd Avenue to 9th Avenue - August 25th to September 19th
- 9th Avenue, from Irving to Judah Street - September 22nd to October 3rd
- Judah Street, from 16th Avenue to 19th Avenue - October 6th to October 31st
- Judah Street, from 35th Avenue to Sunset Blvd - November 3rd to November 28th
This will be fun folks.
We got in touch with SFMTA Project Manager, Tess Kavanagh, who was able to clarify what they mean by "traffic signal upgrades".
"To clarify, we are not installing any new traffic signals as part of the Sunset Tunnel project. We are upgrading the existing traffic signal system in order to improve travel times for the N-Line. The traffic signal upgrades include the installation of new signal wire loops within the roadway that will communicate with the existing signal lights, turning them red or green as needed to give the LRV’s priority through the intersection.For example, the work at Carl & Cole involves the installation of a signal loop that is serving the signal that exists at Carl & Stanyan, two blocks away."